Wheatgrass juice has the great ability to detoxify the body almost immediately after beginning to drink it daily. For this reason, caution should be used in the amount taken the first few days and weeks. As the body begins to eliminate toxins, old drug deposits, poisons, it is much like experiencing the flu. There are headaches, muscle aches, fatigue, etc depending on toxicity of the body. This usually last about a week, the second week begin a little better. After the detox, the chlorophyll in the grass juice begins to build and refine the tissues. Ann Wigmore recommends the following to help through the detoxification process:
1) Begin with only 1 ounce of juice per day. Take juice 1 hour before meals and at least 2 hours after.
2) If detox symptoms are not happening, after about a week, increase gradually the amount of juice taken--over a period of time.
3) Most people max out at 2 to 3 ounces a day find this to be very energizing.
4) People who are extremely ill and begin wheatgrass should do it under the direction of a health practitioner.
5) After several weeks or months on the juice and a change in diet, the body will begin to heal present and past illnesses (that were suppressed) Dr. Bernard Jensen (quoting from Herring's Law) says that the body heals from the top down and from the inside out, and backwards in the order of whatever was wrong last. Healing reactions are similar to the actual illness, but are usually not as intense and do not last as long.
See our holiday gift specials and the rest of the Wheatgrass Habit November Issue